Publish or Perish on Apple Mac OS X,
using CrossOver Mac 10.x or later
This page contains the installation instructions for Publish or Perish on Mac OS X, using CodeWeaver's CrossOver Mac version 10.x or later.
If you use CrossOver Mac version 9.x or earlier, then use these instructions.
If you are using the Publish or Perish software in one of your research articles or otherwise want to refer to it, please use the following format:
Harzing, A.W. (2007) Publish or Perish, available from http://www.harzing.com/pop.htm
Publish or Perish is provided courtesy of Harzing.com. It is free for personal non-profit use; please refer to the End User License Agreement for the full licensing terms and conditions.
To install the Publish or Perish software on an Apple Mac OS X system with CroosOver Mac, you must first obtain and install a copy of CodeWeavers' CrossOver Mac.
For our testing we used CrossOver Mac Standard, version 10.0.1. This version has built-in installation support for Publish or Perish, which simplifies the installation.
If you use CrossOver Mac 9.x or earlier, then refer to these instructions.
Assuming that you have installed CrossOver Mac 10.x or later on your Apple Mac OS X computer, the installation procedure for Publish and Perish goes as follows.
1. Start CrossOver Mac from your computer's Applications folder.
2. On the CrossOver menu bar, choose the Configure menu, then Install Software... This opens the CrossOver Software Installer window.
3. In the upper part of this window, close Supported Applications, open Unsupported Applications, then Community Supported Applications. The result should look like the following screen shot:
4. Scroll down in this list until you find Publish or Perish, then select that. This should preset the installer download from http://www.harzing.com and a new winxp bottle for installation. See the next screen shot:
5. If everything seems to be in order, then click Install to start the Publish or Perish installation process.
6. CrossOver Mac will now create an emulated environment for the Publish or Perish installer. This may take some time, particularly if this is the first time that you install a Windows application with CrossOver Mac. After 5-30 seconds the first installer screen appears. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Publish or Perish.
7. Installation is now complete. The CrossOver Finder window will open automatically and show the Publish or Perish software. You can click the Done button in the CrossOver Software Installer window to close it.
8. To start Publish or Perish, double-click its entry in the CrossOver Finder window. This folder is located under your Home folder, as Home > Applications > CrossOver.
You can also start Publish or Perish through the CrossOver menu bar, on its Programs menu. See the following screen shot:
The general operation of Publish or Perish under CrossOver Mac is identical to the standard Windows usage. However, in our testing we have observed the following issues:
- Publish or Perish help file shows blank pages
- When you try to use the Publish or Perish help file (by pressing F1 or clicking on one of the Help buttons), the help file opens, but all content pages are shown as blank. Until this issue is resolved in CrossOver (or the underlying Wine), you must use the online help pages instead.
- Shortcuts created by the installer do not show up on the Mac OS X desktop
- You must create them manually if you want them by creating a soft link to the Publish or Perish 3 Bottle on the Mac OS X desktop.
- Results summary columns not aligned
- Because Wine uses a slightly different font than native Windows, the alignment of the columns in the Results summary text field is slightly off.